Initiatives & ProgramsLearn more about the initiatives and programs sponsored by State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Torlakson.
Safe Haven Schools
Superintendent Torlakson strongly encourages California’s public schools to declare themselves as "Safe Havens" for students and their families, regardless of their immigration status, heritage, religion, ethnicity, background, disability, sexual orientation or sexual identity.
- State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Torlakson Honors Sacramento City Unified for Safe Haven Efforts (News Release)
- State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Torlakson Responds to President Trump's Immigration Order (News Release)
- Safe Havens Initiative
Social and Emotional Learning
Superintendent Torlakson believes that it is critical for students to develop a range of skills needed for school and life. With the support of a group of expert advisors, CDE will develop a plan for the best ways to implement good social and emotional learning (SEL) in California schools.
- California’s participation in the Collaborating States Initiative (News Release)
- Social and Emotional Learning
Superintendent Torlakson, who started his public service career as a high school science teacher and coach, encourages talented and committed people to consider pursuing an education career and help with a looming teacher shortage in California.
- State Schools Superintendent Tom Torlakson, Serving as Acting Governor, Declares "Change Lives – Be a Teacher Day" in California (News Release)
- Become a Teacher
- Teach California
Career Technical Education
Superintendent Torlakson leads the nation’s largest state investment in Career Technical Education, which prepares students for the challenging careers of the 21st century and gives them cutting-edge knowledge about career options, technology, and skills required for success in adult life.
- Schools Chief Tom Torlakson Announces $245 Million Award of Career Technical Education Incentive Grants (News Release)
- Career Technical Education
Science, Technology, Engineering and Math
Superintendent Torlakson leads a range of initiatives to keep improving Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) education, upgrade curriculum and learning standards, and encourage more girls and students from disadvantaged communities to pursue STEM college degrees and careers.
- State Schools Chief Tom Torlakson Kicks Off 2016 California Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Symposium (News Release)
- California STEAM Symposium
- California Department of Education (CDE) STEM Resources
- STEM Task Force
A Blueprint for Great Schools Version 2.0 builds on the groundbreaking 2011 report A Blueprint for Great Schools, which helped usher in a new era in California schools that has included major increases in funding, more rigorous state academic standards, online student assessment testing, and greater support for the students and schools with the most needs.
- State Schools Chief Tom Torlakson Unveils New Road Map for Education (News Release)
- A Blueprint for Great Schools Version 2.0
California One System Serving the Whole Child
Supporting and scaling up an aligned system of supports serving the whole child.
- CDE One System
- Twitter @CDEOneSystem
- Facebook - California One System Serving the Whole Child
- Instagram CDEOneSystem