Academic Performance Index (API)The outdated cornerstone of California's Public Schools Accountability Act of 1999; measures the academic performance and growth of schools on a variety of academic measures for 1999-2013.
On March 13, 2014, the State Board of Education (SBE) approved not to calculate the API for local educational agencies (LEAs) and schools for the 2014 and 2015 academic years. As a result, the 2014, 2015, and 2016 API reports will not be produced.
The SBE and the California Department of Education (CDE) are in the process of developing a new accountability system to replace the API to better measure our State's educational goals.
On September 8, 2016, the SBE approved key elements of a new school accountability system.
API Reports and Data Files
New API Information
- FAQs for Accountability Reporting
Frequently asked questions (FAQs) posed by schools, districts, and the public.
- FAQs for 2016 Accountability Reporting
- FAQs for 2015 Accountability Reporting
- FAQs for 2014 Accountability Reporting
- Status of the API and the 3-Year Average Information Guide (PDF; 1MB)
- Letter: Changes in Academic Accountability Reporting
- State Decile Ranks - Highest Cut Scores
- Descriptive Statistics and Correlation Tables for California's 2013 School Characteristics Index and Similar Schools Ranks (PDF)
Report of Survey Results on the Inclusion of New Indicators in the High School API
The California Department of Education (CDE) is developing new indicators to include in the high school API. Regional meetings were conducted and an online API Survey sought input on new indicators from administrators, teachers, parents, guardians, students, school board members, educational organizations, community members, and business leaders. The results of the survey can be found in the Report of Survey Results on the Inclusion of New Indicators in the High School API (PDF).
To access current information on the developmental process and decisions made on including new indicators into the API, please select the Public Schools Accountability Act (PSAA) link within the "Related Sites" section at the bottom of this Web page.
Previous API Documentation
- Executive Summary: Explaining the API (PDF)
- 2012 Base and 2013 Growth
- 2011 Base and 2012 Growth
- Construction of School Characteristics Index
and Similar Schools Ranks (PDF)
- API Prior Year Glossaries
Reports to the Legislature
- Alternative Methods in Place of Decile Rank for the API
as Required by California Education Code Section 52052.9(b)
- Recommendation on the Development of a Growth Model
as Required by California Education Code Section 52052.5(d)
- Recommendation of a Method to Emphasize Student Mastery of Standards in Science and Social Science
as Required by Education Code Section 52052.9
- Public Schools Accountability Act (PSAA)
- Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP)
- Alternative Schools Accountability Model (ASAM)