English Language Development StandardsWeb page for those interested in following the alignment of English language development (ELD) standards with current English language arts standards.
Review of the Mathematics and Science Academic Content Standards to Identify those Standards that Correspond to the English Language Development Standards
The State Superintendent of Public Instruction, in consultation with the State Board of Education, will convene a panel of experts in English language instruction, curriculum, and assessment, including individuals who have a minimum of three years of demonstrated experience instructing English learners (ELs) in the classroom at the Elementary or secondary level [California Ed Code Section 60811.4 (b)].
The panel of experts is responsible for finding correspondence between the 2012 California English Language Development Standards (CA ELD Standards) and the California Common Core State Standards for Mathematics, and correspondence between the 2012 CA ELD Standards and the California Next Generation Science Standards. If necessary, the panel may provide recommendations on augmenting the 2012 CA ELD Standards.
The panel of experts must include individuals who have a minimum of three years of demonstrated experience instructing ELs in the classroom at the elementary or secondary level. The panel of experts will consist of the following:
- ELD, mathematics, and science teachers;
- School site principals, school district or county office of education administrators overseeing programs and support for ELs;
- Personnel of teacher training schools at institutions of higher education; and
- Curriculum and instructional specialists with EL experience.
A majority of the panel of experts must be currently employed public school teachers.
The panel of experts meetings will be open to the public and held at the California Department of Education (CDE) in Sacramento on April 2, 2015, and May 28, 2015. Public comment will follow each panel of experts meeting in order for the public to provide input.
- Integrating the CA ELD Standards into K-12 Mathematics and Science Teaching and Learning: A Supplementary Resource for Educators Implementing in Tandem the California English Language Development Standards, The California Common Core State Standards for Mathematics, and the Next Generation Science Standards for California Public Schools (DOC; Posted 16-Dec-2015)
- Summary of the Public Comments on Draft Augmentation Document (DOC; Posted 18-Nov-2015) (Public review and comment on the CA ELD Standards augmentation documents closed on September 17, 2015. The public comments informed the revisions made to the augmentation document.)
- Summary of Feedback on Draft Augmentation Document (DOC; Dated May-2015)
- May 28, 2015, Public Meeting Notice and Agenda
- May 28, 2015, Meeting Agenda Detail
- April 2, 2015, Public Meeting Notice and Agenda
- April 2, 2015, Meeting Documents, Panel Recommendations and Public Comment
- Appointed Panel of Experts Members List
The online application closed at 3 p.m. on Thursday, February 5, 2015. Panel of expert members were appointed and notified by March 2, 2015.
The following timeline highlights the events of this project:
|October 2014||WestEd conducts correspondence study|
|January 2015||CDE opened the online application for panel of experts|
|February 5, 2015||CDE closed the online application for panel of experts|
|March 2, 2015||Appointments to the panel of experts made|
|April 2, 2015||1st panel of experts meeting and public comment|
|May 28, 2015||2nd panel of experts meeting and public comment|
|July 8–9, 2015||State Superintendent of Public Instruction makes recommendations to the State Board of Education for augmentation of the CA ELD Standards|
|August 2015–January 2016 (if necessary)||
Following the adoption of the California English Language Development Standards (CA ELD Standards), California Education Code Section 60811.3 (e) required that the State Superintendent of Public Instruction (SSPI) and the State Board of Education (SBE) present to the Governor, and the appropriate policy and fiscal committees of the Legislature, a schedule and implementation plan for integrating the new CA ELD Standards into the public education system.
The California English Language Development Standards (CA ELD Standards) Implementation Plan identifies major phases and activities in the implementation of the CA ELD Standards throughout California’s educational system. The plan describes the philosophy of and strategies for the successful integration of the CA ELD Standards that align to the California Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts and literacy in History/Social Studies, Science and Technical Subjects (CA CCSS for ELA/Literacy) to address English language and literacy skills English learners need in key content areas. The goal of the CA ELD Standards Implementation Plan is to serve as a guide of the major steps in the development, adoption, and implementation of the CA ELD Standards for local educational agencies and county offices of education.
- Letter presenting the CA ELD Standards Implementation Plan to the Governor
- ELD Standards Implementation Plan (PDF; 1MB)
Please send technical assistance questions regarding the CA ELD Standards Implementation Plan to: ELDImplementation@cde.ca.gov.
California English Language Development Standards (PDF)
The California English Language Development Standards were adopted by the State Board of Education in November 2012.